Dear NSHS Community:
Congratulations to the Newton South Jazz Ensemble, which earned one of three coveted spots in the national Charles Mingus High School Competition & Festival in New York on April 20 - 22, 2018.
Applications were submitted by bands across the country in four categories:
- Big Bands,
- Big Bands (Performing Arts/Specialized Schools)
- Combos (Performing Arts/Specialized Schools)
Newton South is one of a dozen ensembles in total that will perform in the competition along with two other groups from Massachusetts. The remaining performers are from California, New Jersey, Oklahoma, New York, Oregon and Colorado
The weekend will start with a visit to a New York jazz club Friday night, followed by clinics with renowned artists, jam sessions with students from across the country, live jazz on Saturday and then the competition and awards ceremony on Sunday.
- This year’s festival also includes a film showcase, archival exhibit, student jams, a full day of instrumental
- clinics, a panel exploring the music of Charles Mingus, and performances from the Mingus legacy
- All events are open to the public. More details to be announced at http://www.CharlesMingus.org
Well done, Ms. Linde and Ensemble!
She Kills Monsters is opening on 2/8-2/10. Get them here!
In January we hosted Brown and Oak Hill Middle School ensembles for our step-up concerts! Thank you to all who participated.
Congratulations to our Scholastic Art & Writing Awards winner! We'll have an artwork gallery up soon. More information about the show can be found here.
Chair, Fine & Performing Arts
Newton South High School